Friday 21 February 2020

Pre-season Additions


Following the test launch on Lake Windermere 2nd November 2019, a number of issues were logged, most of which were minor, however there were two observations that I considered required more immediate attention.

Whilst towing the boat there is a fair amount of bounce generated by the trailer which was particularly noticeable on the poorly maintained roads around the area in which I live. The mast is secured in a horizontal position on a forward cradle bolted to the tabernacle, this performed admirably whilst the aft end was supported by a crutch which vibrated out of position and worked itself loose requiring attention on several occasions during transit. I have overcome this problem by designing and constructing a solid cradle that sits on the cockpit seats, this in turn is held down fast by two turns of rope around the mast lashed down to deck eyes fitted to the Jib Sheet Cleat Blocks either side of the Coaming's. The mast is held securely into place by a cam strap passed through holes drilled either side of the cradle below the centre line of the mast to produce downward force when the strap is pulled tight.

Heavy leaden skies and rain dominated launch day which proved to be unpleasant but inadvertently useful. I noticed how slippery the painted cockpit seats were, I considered this to be a potential hazard for an inadvertent slip either into the boat or over the side! Following extensive research of the various possibilities for solving this problem, I decided on a custom built solution by creating four teak seat panels. I began by making two templates (reversible for opposite side), which gave a good visual indication of how they would look aesthetically, plus they gave me the opportunity of setting out the planking and making adjustments to the layout before committing to the cutting of any timber. I cut and laid up the teak on the templates before gluing with epoxy to the plywood seats and locker lids. Prior to gluing I had to remove the various layers of paint from the plywood to the exact profile of each panel to ensure a good bond. The result is very pleasing and provides an attractive non slip surface to both sit and stand on.

I have added two additional items of safety equipment, a Horseshoe Lifebuoy and a Safety Throw Line. Because of space constraints, I decided to mount both of these items on the top of the sliding hatch, this provides quick easy access and does not restrict movement around the boat or interfere with any other equipment or fittings. 

Also in the interests of safety and for the convenience of communications, I have enrolled myself onto a RYA / MCA Marine VHF Radio Short Range Certificate course with the exam scheduled for 29th March 2020. When I have completed the course and passed the exam I will apply for a ships radio license and a Maritime Mobile Service Identity number.



The Cockpit showing the four panels of teak planking to provide a comfortable non
 slip solution to the painted seats - the new re-designed aft mast support cradle.

An additional important note: In my post 11th November 2019, I alluded to the fact that I was unable to obtain insurance without a full out of water survey and valuation carried out by a suitably qualified marine surveyor. This has now been undertaken and I have a fully comprehensive report confirming the quality of the build and its seaworthiness. 


3 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post vaarbewijs kopen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having built a 36 ft roberts spray in my younger years, sailing her for 19 years and since selling I understand the highs and lows of building a boat. We have since purchased a motor cruiser which does not quite do it for us, and reading pbowner came across yours. You should be very proud of what you have achieved a beautifuly built little vessel ! I am seriously thinking of building something similar....but probably not to your standards. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. The build proved to be completely absorbing and very enjoyable, I hope that if you decide to undertake something similar it proves likewise. Good luck and best wishes.


      Delete