Tuesday 3 October 2017

Building And Assembly Of The Hull - Structural Plywood Parts

On 29th March 2017 my wife and I drove the 570 mile round trip to collect the machine cut plywood sheets from Jordan Boats near Taunton in Somerset. Although a lot of time is saved by opting for  CNC cutting, there is still a considerable amount of time required to release the components from the sheets with a saw, plane the projecting tabs of plywood flush with the surrounding profile and clean and fair all the edges. Buying the pre-cut plywood sheets in this manner if referred to as the ‘kit option’, although I would suggest that this is a slight exaggeration. A kit suggests that you might simply assemble the parts which is not the case; a lot of work is still required to produce the finished components ready for assembly.

I experienced problems with some parts not lining up correctly. Alec Jordan had made some errors when programming the files which revealed itself as misalignment on two transverse bulkheads. I contacted him to outline the problems and to his credit he immediately responded, took full responsibility and re-supplied the parts without delay.  I would therefore not hesitate to recommend his services to others due to his prompt action in rectifying the mistakes. 


Loading up the 29no CNC cut plywood sheets at Jordan Boats




Components released, cleaned and faired. I rolled the jig over and used the bottom as a bench for assembling and gluing.  This proved particularly useful for the planking which requires a long flat surface. I dry assembled all parts before gluing to be certain everything fitted and lined up correctly. The planking was glued up in pairs with polythene strips laid between the layers to prevent sticking to surrounding surfaces. A batten was screwed down over the joint to provide a clamped flat joint.




All jointed surfaces were first wetted out, including large surface area laminated components and then allowed them to soak. I then applied a further coat of epoxy mixed with Silica to both surfaces, rolled to achieve an even coating before assembling with stainless steel screws where appropriate then  clamps. All screw heads were counter sunk, filled with epoxy filler and sanded off flat as the work progressed. I figured it would be much easier to carry out as much fairing as possible whilst the parts were in a flat level plane. I also rounded all exposed corners within the boat to provide a user friendly surface and minimise the risk of injury in the unfortunate case of a fall.

The centre board case has a 20mm diameter hole to carry the spindle of the centre board. I had concern’s that this was a lot to ask of the plywood with the potential for wear and the possibility of water ingress into the inaccessible case. I considered the idea of inserting a brass bush for the spindle to rotate in; however I wondered if the two different metals may react and corrode in sea water, I therefore contacted the architect to express my concern. He agreed that may be a problem and offered the following solution; bore out the plywood to around 40 – 50 mm diameter and fill with epoxy mixed with fibres, drill this out to accept the spindle. I thought this an excellent idea and devised the following method. 

To accurately maintain the centre of the 20mm spindle bore, I screwed a sacrificial piece of board to the outsides of the case with a layer of polythene trapped between. I then passed a 20mm auger through the pre-drilled holes in the plywood case and drilled into the board. After marking the position I removed the sacrificial boards and opened up the holes in the case to around 45mm using a hole saw. I considered the horizontal score marks made by the saw would provide a good key for the epoxy. I then replaced the sacrificial board and polythene separator exactly to the marks and inserted a short length of 20mm plastic conduit wrapped in plastic packing tape to achieve a clearance dimension of 21mm diameter. After wetting out and leaving to soak, I filled the remaining void with epoxy mixed with micro fibres. Two days later when fully hardened, I removed the board and extracted the conduit to leave a perfect hole exactly in the original position. I further reinforced this by sheathing over in 300gsm twill woven glass fabric soaked through with a thick layer of epoxy, providing a tough water tight seal to all surfaces within the centre board compartment. When assembling the back bone a further layer of epoxy was applied and rolled out to provide an even coating.






The completed epoxy spindle bearing sheathed over in 300 gsm woven glass fabric. When set, I cut through the fabric and trimmed it back to the edges of the hole. A further coat of epoxy was applied before the closing of the centre board case

No comments:

Post a Comment