Sunday 8 October 2017

Turning Over




As family and friends gathered at the build site on the evening of 5th October 2017, I felt a little anxious at the prospect of releasing the boat from its jig then turning her over. I had constructed a lifting frame with straps bolted at its extremities then passed under the boat. The contraption was strapped to the bucket of my digger, this provided lifting support whilst removing the jig uprights, temporary battens and packing holding the boat in position. A few tense moments followed, particularly as we reached the tipping point when the upper edges of the planking reached ninety degrees to the floor, a pause in the proceedings enabled a brief rest and a moment to consider the next step, a final co-ordinated heave and she was over and resting on her keel. I spent some time the following day levelling, checking for true and installing supports to ensure that all was spot on before proceeding. Its imperative that the structure be perfectly true, any discrepancies would remain trapped within the build producing a distorted boat.  

This proved to be a momentous occasion for me, I could now fully appreciate Francois beautiful design revealing the graceful lines of the hull. I was bathed in an aura of excitement and inspiration to press on with the build.  

A heart felt thanks must go to my wife Lynn, friends John,Jan,Peter,Matt,Tom and the two Jim's for helping me to turn her over. I couldn't have done it without you. 






No comments:

Post a Comment