Sunday 1 October 2017

My background



My Father had an underlying passion for boats and owned a wooden sailing dinghy whilst he was posted in Egypt for four years during the 2nd Word War. When I was young, the result of his influence meant that we were always messing about in boats which, in my later teenage years, inspired me to begin building a wooden rowing boat. Unfortunately due to financial restrictions and space constraints I never completed the project. However years later after serving an apprenticeship, I set up a small business as a self-employed joiner. I came to the attention of the owner of a local chandlery who subsequently invited me to work in his boat yard, initially building pontoons then carrying out repairs to all manner of different craft. During my time there I purchased a rundown plastic hulled boat which, eventually morphed into a modest restoration project, providing an interesting and informative insight into boat construction, propulsion and lots of fun. I progressed with my joinery business which later expanded into constructing extensions and carrying out alterations on domestic property. After 45 years of being a builder and joiner I am now semi-retired. Whilst I do not consider myself as anything other than a potential amateur boat builder, I feel I have a good skill base and background to enable me to construct a decent boat.


Dad (port side facing camera) sailing Bunty in Egypt

For the past twelve years, I have lived on the fringes of the English Lake District. Following a trip on a Windermere cruiser, I realised that the easy access to the Lakes are a valuable unexplored local resource, allowing one to view the beautiful Cumbrian scenery from a different perspective. This stirred past yearnings and prompted a desire to build a traditional wooden boat, the time was right to launch into my Second Nautical Period.                                             














No comments:

Post a Comment