Monday 2 October 2017

Which Design



My overriding desire was to get this project right and not rush into it. Experience has taught me to spend plenty of time considering all aspects and to mull over the many options. Over a period of months I produced a mental wish list of characteristics of which I wanted the boat to achieve:

·         An aesthetically pleasing classic wooden sailing boat design constructed using modern methods.
·         To be able to go lake and coastal cruising with a crew of two adults and two children.
·         To have a small cabin to enable a few nights away, prepare food in a protected environment and somewhere to retreat in poor weather.
·         To be tailerable, easy to launch and recover.
·         To have an outboard motor discreetly mounted on the centre line as opposed to a bracket on the transom, easily removable and room for stowage on board.
·         To have a retractable centre board that did not compromise the cockpit or cabin space.

After months of systematic research and investigation into designs, modern materials and methods of wooden boat building, I discovered a design by Francois Vivier that really caught my eye.

Beniguet - a trailerable classic gaff sloop rig with a small cabin was the pocket ship for me.

I initially purchased the study plans which enabled me to study the lines and understand the construction. In doing so I could therefore be absolutely certain that this was the design to satisfy my wish list before committing to buying the full plans. I also contacted the Architect directly, striking up a dialog in order to answer or confirm various queries. I then went through the tedious process of estimating the cost. This proved both time consuming and informative, mainly due to my lack of understanding of the terminology and where one could purchase the various materials and myriad of fixtures and fittings. 

Another important consideration was the location of the build site. We live in a remote farmhouse situated in the hills accessed by a steep and difficult access track. The geometry of one particular bend is very tight and I needed to be sure that I could tow the boat around this obstacle. To confirm if indeed this would be possible, I constructed a full sized outline pattern of the hull from 25 x 100 timbers, attached two steel brackets at the estimated trailer wheel axle centre line, bolted on two bicycle wheels and a further forward projecting timber to enable a towing eye to be fitted. I was then able to tow the pattern to confirm that I would be able to negotiate the convoluted track access.

Following many weeks of estimating and research, I arrived at the conclusion that I could successfully fund the project and was willing to make the considerable time commitment of man hours required to build the boat.

I purchased the full plan set. 



No comments:

Post a Comment